Sunday, December 11, 2011

{English Toffee}

I recently got a candy thermometer and it has made me one happy girl! I have never made candy for Christmas because I never dared to do it without one. Now I can't stop making candy, it's so fun. This English Toffee recipe is so simple and so delicious. I have made two different recipes that are both really good. One happens to be my Mother in Laws recipe which she is pretty much famous for. The other one is really good too, I can't decide which one I like better. I think I will post both just to have them when I need them. You really can't go wrong with either. :)

2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
6 Tbs hot water
3 Tbs corn syrup
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 cups melted chocolate (I use milk and I prefer a large symphony bar)
extra nuts chopped finely (like almonds or pecans)


Place the butter in a large pot over medium high heat, (make sure you have your candy thermometer in the pot) Once the butter is melted add the sugar and stir until it is all combined. Keep stirring. When the mixture comes to a boil add the corn syrup and add the water one tablespoon at a time. Keep stirring and add the almonds. Now you just keep stirring over medium heat until the candy thermometer reaches anywhere between 275-280 degrees. It usually takes about 10 minutes or so. The mixture starts to turn a light brown color and pulls away from the sides.
Remove it from the heat and pour into a large jelly roll pan, and let it cool completely. Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute or until it is smooth and melted. Pour the chocolate over the top and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Once it has set, break it into pieces and store in an air tight container for up to 3 weeks.



Kelley's Toffee 


2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
5 Tbs hot water
1 cup sliced almonds

Do the same steps as said above, except cook it until the thermometer reads 310 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Recipe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails