Saturday, February 12, 2011

Rosemary Bread (Macaroni Grill Bread)

People sometimes get intimidated by making homemade bread...Trust me it's so easy, just follow the directions exactly and you can't go wrong. This is one of the easiest bread recipes I have made, and the result is very rewarding! It's such a artisan style bread that goes perfect with soup, pasta, salad. It's also good by itself dipped in Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar and garlic and a little salt mixed together. I have seen a few variations online but this one is the best I think. (Thanks to The Sisters Cafe) Love it!












1 Tbs. Dry Yeast
1 Tbs. Sugar
1 cup warm water
2 ½ cups white flour, divided
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp dried rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
Kosher salt

Put the yeast, water and sugar into a mixer. Mix it until it is frothy. Then turn your oven on to warm, or about 200 degrees. You are just wanting to warm it up a bit

To the mixing bowl of yeast mixture, add two cups of the flour, salt, and half of your chopped rosemary. Knead the dough for a few minutes. Add the rest of the flour as needed to get the dough to the right consistency (soft and stretchy without being overly sticky).Turn the oven off

Lift the dough out of the mixing bowl. Add the olive oil to a bowl and swirl it around. Roll the dough in the olive oil so it is well coated and let it sit in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a dish towel and place it in the turned off but still warm oven. Let the dough rise for about an hour. It should be approximately doubled in size. Punch the dough down and knead it again. Divide it into two equal sized lumps and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.
Prepare your baking pan. I use a cookie sheet. If the surface is not naturally non-stick, spray it with the cooking spray. Shape the dough into two oval-shaped loaves and arrange on the pan. Melt the butter or margarine. Use a brush to paint the surface of the loaves with butter. Use all of the butter. The loaves will be quite saturated when you’re done. Take the rest of the chopped rosemary and sprinkle it over the loaves. Pat it down gently to set it into the dough. Return the loaves to the oven. Don’t turn it on yet. Let the dough rise again, for about 45 minutes. Remove the loaves and preheat the oven to 450°. Sprinkle a little bit of kosher salt over the loaves. Return the dough to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until light brown.Makes two loaves.

12 comments:

  1. What am I doing wrong? I've tried making this twice, and I've followed the recipe to the tee. My yeast is brand new, but each time I make it, it rises just fine the first time, the 2nd time, no rise at all, as a matter of fact, it spreads out. I baked it anyway, the flavor is good, but it comes out more like an unleavened bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually sounds exactly how it's supposed to be. It looks just like the picture. Whenever I make it I make 2 oval shaped loafs and put them side by side on the baking sheet. I have made one large loaf and have had it spread a lot.(which is okay too) With so much saturation from the butter and oil it is not going to come out fluffy. So you are doing everything right, that is the way the bread is supposed to be. Hopefully this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and mine spread too after I took it out of the oven to sit and preheat. I could have reshaped it, but just didn't. It cut down the cooking time by about 12 mins. It was very good though and I will make it again!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made it! Mine rose fine. I used half all-purpose and half bread flour. I let the Kitchen-Aid knead the bread for 5 min. (I heard longer knead times were good.) I followed all other directions to a tee. Thanks so much for the recipe! I love this bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this and it was delicious! I did only make one loaf and cut down the baking time. I also used fresh rosemary. I will make this over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you join Pinterest so we can follow you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I have been wanting to do that. I will get on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure what happened but my bread came out flat. The first rise was fine but once in the oven to cook it just spread out

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this recipe tonight for the third time and FINALLY got it right and it was AMAZING!!! (The other times it was flattened and overcooked.) The tweaks I made: I used half all purpose white flour and half bread flour. I only let it rise the second time for about 20 minutes instead of 45. Mine also flattened the other times and I think it was because I didn't make it oval enough but made it look like macaroni grill bread but this time I knew it would flatten so I made it extra round and didn't let it sit in the butter as long for the second rising. And the MOST IMPORTANT change that I made was reducing the temperature to 400 instead of 450, the other times it burned in about 12 minutes on 450. So this time I baked at 400 for 18 minutes and it was perfect.
    Hope this helps for those whose bread didn't turn out! Tonight it came out amazing, my new favorite bread recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I missing something with the flour? It says to use 2 cups but where does the other 1/2 cup go?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had your breadsticks and they were delish.. so I had to try this bread too, and it was just as delish.. and just as easy too! Thanks again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Print Recipe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails